Pages

Monday 17 October 2011

Wisdom



Twenty years ago when my eldest son was one and I started regular church attendance again, a Christian friend told me how, when she conceived after a lot of problems she dedicated her son to the Lord and her son then became a missionary. And I was a bit scared...did God want my son too?

On Friday my son was received as a Senior Scholar at Trinity Cambridge.
It turns out we did have to give him to God.
Born gifted, he was reading at two,
Struggling within the limitations of the state school system
we were blessed by extraordinary teachers who nurtured his talents
by a supportive head who re worked the curriculum.

But when he started to talk about Cambridge
we started to doubt.
Maybe one or two students a year get there from our town
And not from comprehensive schools
Or our family’s background.

I recently read Stephen's post about using your talents.
My son worked those God given talents.
Dropped favourite science and did
Maths, Further Maths, more Maths
God gave him those ten Maths talents
And he brought them back with interest.

But with submission, with faithfulness
And when he got an interview,
the test was whether he was teachable
if they could teach him and he could learn from them.
First year was so hard
State system just hadn’t prepared him well.
He worked without ceasing to win the First.
And the second year. The second First
Senior Scholar.
But still with time to give it back
To the holiday clubs
And to support the next generation from his old sixth form.

After I wrote this, at church we looked at how Solomon asked for wisdom and God was pleased. And how James recommends that wisdom from above

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.3. 13

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.3.17

Sometimes it’s not so easy to discern your gifts and I really seek that heavenly wisdom to understand how to use my God given talents.

linking with Michelle at Hear it, use it

3 comments:

  1. You are so right -- sometimes it's not easy at all to discern our gifts. It took me forever to start writing -- I always thought of it as a skill, not a gift. And I thought there was a difference between the two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on your son.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Lord is so very Faithful! What a precious testimony! And what a blessing to be mother to a son who chases hard after Him! Thank you so much for linking up this page in your heritage of Faith! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...